Casey Middle School is named in honor of Zadok Casey who was a prominent citizen in the early settlement of Mt. Vernon. He served as Lt. Governor of Illinois and as a member of Congress for 10 years.
The school is built upon part of the original Zadok Casey homestead. The first classes began in the late fall of 1937. Since then, over 12,000 students have graduated.
The main building has remained virtually unchanged since the opening of the school. However, the second floor restrooms were renovated during the summer of 1990 and new student hall lockers were installed. Also, a computer laboratory was installed on the third floor, containing 30 computer stations. The first floor cafeteria was renovated in summer 1991 to accommodate more students for lunch.
An addition immediately south of the present gymnasium was occupied during the 1973-74 school year. This Unified Arts Building accommodates the needs and activities within the areas of art, home economics, technology education, and music.
During 1978, another new addition to the east of the main building was completed. This building supplies the need of the science and special education classes.
History of Dr. Andy Hall School Although Mt. Vernon was established in 1819 when William Casey donated 20 acres around the courthouse, the first school inside the city limits was a log house built by a Mr. Talley in 1830. This building was located at 12th and Maple. The year 1866 saw the first tax-supported school constructed on the east side of town and was called The East Side School. This school not only included elementary students but also high school students. Mt. Vernon began to expand in all four directions and in 1886 Eugene Field School on the west side was built. This school continued to operate until it was razed in 1949. Then in 1952 it was replaced by the current building but remained known as the Eugene Field School until 1960. In that year the school was renamed Dr. Andy Hall in honor of perhaps the best-known and most beloved physician Mt. Vernon has ever had. He came to Mt. Vernon in 1890 after graduating from medical school at Northwestern University. In 1949 he was voted the Outstanding General Practioner of the Year not only in Illinois but also for the entire United States. He strongly supported schools and seldom missed a Rams Basketball Game even when he was well into his 90's. We are proud of our namesake as he was truly a credit to our city. In 1992 the decision was made to change Dr. Andy Hall School from a community K-6 school into a Sixth Grade Center. This resulted in Hall students being bussed to other District 80 schools, and all sixth grade students from the other four attendance centers being bussed in. The final step in the evolution of Hall School was begun during the 1998-1999 school year as it merged with Casey Middle School. Through it all the name Dr. Andy Hall has been and always will be associated with this school building. Contributed by Mr. Sid Milliner, retired Hall School teacher and local historian.